Friday, August 15, 2008

Limited Spending?

So recently I read about this incentive to go a month without spending money.

To clarify, that's not possible unless you 1) grow your own food 2) ride a bike to work, 3) generate your own electricity and 4) don't take tithing very seriously.

What they were going after is extra spending...the non-necessary kind. You not talking about those "Stacker" sandwiches at BK are you....yes (and for the record I find them utterly disgusting, but Linford, who distains lettuce (and apparently vegetables of any kind) enjoys them).

I had tried this once before (February) but I (unwisely) picked a month that had my wife's birthday in, and decided to (wisely) break my commitment, and actually spend money.

Why might one do this? Well.....I'm overtly greedy, and want to jump in a pile of my cash like that duck character in the cartoons (Scrouge McDuck??). No, actually, since I work next to a supermarket AND a restaurant, it had been too many "little" trips to get food, candy, ice tea, etc. I wanted to break that cycle.

I'm 15 days into it, and besides buying gas, I have only spent money on 3 things this month:
1) cheese (my wife asked me to pick it up)
2) a soft pretzel at the Reading Phillies game with Dakota (try going to a game with any kid and not feel compelled to buy something....it's part of the parent-child covenant) and
3) Reading Phillies tickets (already put in motion before my commitment was made).

So far, so good...will this mean that September will be filled with trips to Taco Bell, McDonalds & Wendys....hopefully not.

Enjoy the weekend, we have been having GREAT weather right now!

No comments: