Thursday, July 31, 2008

Let's see....


Let's see, 8:00 am, why don't I go out and mow some wet grass for the 2nd time this week?

I pretty sure that is what's going through our neighbors heads, each week. Don't get me wrong, they're nice people, grandparents, etc.....but what is so important about your retired life, that you need to mow grass early in the morning.

Maybe early is the operative word there. Most likely 8:00am is already at least 2-3 hours into the day.

I theorize that today's retirees have spent their lives working hard (getting up early, working late) to get to the place when they can retire, that once they get there, their life patterns keep them in the same schedule. I'd think this to be especially true of those who farm.

There's a lady at work who still push-mows her lawn in the summer heat waves, as if it's a badge of honor? (Hint: they've invented riding tractors for people your age, and dying from a heat stroke is a foolish way to finish life).

I really wonder what our retirement will be like? At this point I think it's safe to say mine will be much, much, later than the normal retirement age.

I also wonder if I'll be out-of-touch from a clothing perspective...i.e. clinging on to that favorite dated t-shirt or pair of jeans. While you don't see many stone-washed jeans anymore, I do see a lot of seniors wearing incredible plaid combinations. I mean, if you're cool with it, that's fine.....it's just very out-of-touch with present day style.

Fast forward 50 years, I'll just about be 80, hopefully a grandpa of many, and still wearing my khaki shorts...which probably will be as modern as plaid on plaid combo.



Actually, as I write, I think it's more likely that those track suits, if they aren't already, will probably be the fashion no-no of our generation, at the senior age-level.

No comments: