Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Chainsaw

Last night I decided to cut up some old logs that are in our "woods". I use the term "woods" loosely, since our portion of it isn't very deep, but I digress...

Anyways, seeing that I'm not exactly John Bunyan (the lumberman came from St. Paul), I decided to use a chainsaw.

That worked well for the majority of the time, until I decided to cut this big, thick tree that had broke off near the base (3-4 feet off the ground). I was aware that, upon getting through the trunk, I would want to keep my tender toes & ankles away from the falling trunk.

As it turned out, I ran into a different problem. While casually off in la-la land, I got to the point where the top "halves" of the trunk fell slightly together, "binding" my chainsaw in the trunk......in other words, plain stuck.

No having a certain degree of pride, I decided that I need to get this out without any help. So, I set about cutting with my handsaw from the other end.

After awhile I would test what's left by jumping up and down on the cut area. Remember the scene in "Fireproof" where the Kirk Cameron character is smashing stuff, knocking over garbage cans, etc. That's the kind of moment I probably gave my neighbors if they saw me in the woods jumping up and down like a gorilla. (I probably gave a few frustrated grunts as well).

I did that alternating cycle for about 15 minutes before the "light came on" in my head, and I went to get my power saw. With the aid of electricity, and several strategic cuts later, the two pieces fell together, and all was well....just as darkness set.

All in a days work?

No comments: