Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Up then Down then Up then down, down, down



As a Phillies fan, Game 1 of the 162 game series known as the "regular season" started in typical fashion.

The Phillies jumped out to an early lead, followed by Myers giving up the lead, followed by the Phillies tying the game with a Jimmy Rollins home-run, and then losing it with a 5 run 9th inning, off of the "closer" Gordon.

At this point I have better appreciate for my son's Thomas the Tank friend "Gordon" than an actual-live-human-being-who-may-be-asked-to-do-more-than-he-currently-can do....close games (in WINNING fashion).

I want to route for Gordon, even though I know he's like that used car, who used to be dependable, but now leaks oil, the gas guage is broken, and you aren't sure if it's going to get you to your destination.

If it's any consolation, I switched to the Cubs game after the Phillies lost, and saw them tie it in the 9th off of Eric Gagne, with a Kosuke Fukudome home run (and no I didn't have to google his name....that's the power of fantasy baseball...except I had him on the bench). This came after I snickered at the Cubs announcers making jokes at Eric Gagne's pants expense (they went to the well 2x on oversized pants jokes)....and then watched them lose it in the 10th...with me having similar disappointed feelings for Kerry Wood (yes, fantasy baseball) as I did for Tom Gordon.

Thankfully, like the past 3 years, I was able to watch the game with friends. Despite the fact that more young fans have entered the circle (we've added a child each year (either them or us), the outcome is still the same, the Phils are winning, and then the bullpen loses the game.

Regardless, there are 161 more "rides" to take on this Phillies journey, which hopefully will be as exciting as last year's.

No comments: