Sunday, January 13, 2008

Colts Disappointment

Alas, the world is not as it should be.

Apart from my # 1 interest in the Eagles, I've made no attempt to hide the admiration I have for the Colts, Peyton Manning, and Tony Dungy. As I've often joked, I said they are most of what's right about the NFL, and other teams/people (Patriots, T.O, Belicheck, etc) are what's annoying. A quick point of clarification, I can appreciate what each of the latter has accomplished, but I have respect for the manner/style in which Dungy, Peyton, Andy Reid have reached their accomplishments.

To have the Colts lose today, and not set up a Colts-Patriots AFC rematch is a huge disappointment. To start with, the return of Marvin Harrison was a nice moment, even with him fumbling away the ball early in the game. Peyton looked like Peyton, and you felt it was only a matter of time before they broke the game open.

As it turned out, the Chargers, particularly Philip Rivers, had a little more "fight" in them, and the Colts defense just didn't have their normal sucess. Rivers, by the way, made some great throws, and if he didn't come across on TV as such a meathead, I might root for him. The dude was blowing his top at everyone, officials, teammates, even seemed to be jawing with Norv Turner about whether to take a penalty or not.

Speaking of Norv, perhaps I just wasn't paying attention, but I never realized how much of a whiner he had become.....he always seemed to be complaining to the officials about something, or saying something offensive...as one of the announcers commented, if you're a lip reader, you might want to turn away. What a whiner, must have been from his Cowboys days.

The Chargers won, and they made some good plays to win, but I hope to never be a part of a sports team where it's members and coaches/managers feel the need to whine like that to the officials (I mean, is this basketball???). I admit there was a sketchy pass interference call on the Chargers, but instead of whining, just stop the other team and leave no doubt as to the outcome of the game. As it turned out, there was a make-up call the next play that penalized the Colts.

Well, we can now only hope that we avoid a Cowboys-Patriots Super Bowl....talk about a conflict of interest!

No comments: