Saturday, January 5, 2008

Pray For Kenya

As some of you know, my church has long been connected to Kenya, and outreach there. An email was sent, confirming that they have been affected by the ethnic violence and church burnings, so please pray that peace would once gain reign in Kenya, and that broken lives (and buildings) would be restored.

A side note, that I was thinking about as I drove to work today. It's really sad what has happened with Africa.

At first my thought is that the Africans are mostly to blame, as they, in the past 40 years of post-imperialism have failed to grasp a national identity as a people, and as countries.

When the United States was formed, we like the Africans were from different nations/tribes and dialects. However, we formed a new identity as a people.

The Africans, due to that major difference that they have not left their homeland, have not first become "Rwandians" but rather remain "Huutu's" and "Tutis" (for example).

Sadly, poverty and violence have been "bedfellows" in Africa.

The ethnic boundaries have not conformed to the post-imperial boundaries for countries that Europe created, rather when you hear of violence in Africa, it's almost always "civil" war, and not country to country....though there's been plenty of that as well.

Perhaps you know what I'm saying, perhaps I'm dead wrong....but it can make for an interesting discussion.

The other aspect of Africa I remain interested in, is why some countries (South Africa, Zimbabwee, etc) have taken a stance that white Afrikaneers are a people to displace from their land, and many times force to leave the country outright. To read more on this topic, check out the book "When the Crocodile Eats the Sun"...or something like that.

It was a good read.

But again, what do I know....I'm just a sports nut. I'd rather debate with you the merits of building a baseball team than politics or the world seen.

Have a great 2008, and remember to pray for Kenya.....

No comments: