Monday, June 30, 2008

Embarrassment

From time to time I feel sorry for the sports world, and sports journalist/media in particular.

When I was watching Baseball Tonight on ESPN, and saw the whole "breaking news: Shaq slams Kobe in free-style rap" come across the bottom line, I groaned.

Since it's summer, this story got about 100% more publicity than it deserved. Since I watch sports, and listen to sports talk radio, read sports magazines and online sites, and sometime dream about sports (like the time I'm a kid and met Tony Gwynn....why him? I don't know), but since I am immersed in sports, I was treated to a little more analysis than needed on this story.

The same could go for Barbaro, Clemens/Mindy McCready, and most other "non-stories" that are somehow contrived to be stories, because it's a slow news day.

There are other real-world problems, in the real-geographic world that could use more attention than the big "fu-machu goof" who raps about Kobe.

No comments: