Thursday, June 26, 2008

Jimmy Cub



I've always had a soft spot for certain teams that were "lovable losers". I guess it kind of reminds me of the Philly teams who haven't won a championship since 1983 (someone did a study and there's a 3% probability that all 4 major teams wouldn't win 1 championship in 25 years).

I was pulling for the Red Sox to win their first, and get over the "hump" against the rival Yanks, and I was routing for the White Sox to end their World Series drought, and they did.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always be a Phillies fan, unless they move to Ottawa and become the Moosejaw Mounties, but until then, I'll always be a Phillies fan first, but there's a soft spot for those "Cubbies".



Even though at first I found the radio team of Santo & Hughes to be obnoxious (Santo's an over-the-top cheerleader and Hughes often calls games in a pulse-less monotone) I grew to at least appreciate them for their own unique style.

Throw in the White Sox - Cubs rivalry and it's easy to have a soft spot for those Chicago baseball teams.

Now go ahead and add Jim Edmonds. I respected him from his days with the Angels, when he played an awesome defense in centerfield, and had a sweet-left handed swing. Then he went to the Cardinals (Cubs rival) and here's where it's easy for me. To the hard-core Cubs fan, any Cardinal is revolting (ala Eagles vs. Dallas Cowboys), but to the casual fan, who cares? If he helps them get to the NL Championship game, where they lose to the Phillies, who cares? He's a nice left-handed bat off the bench, and a quality guy to spot-start or cover injuries.

So, welcome aboard Jimmy Cub...there's plenty of room on the band-wagon.

No comments: