Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Uggghhhhh



Ugghhh. This past Sunday my guitar was incredibly out of tune.

How? Why? I'm not sure, since I had tuned it before 8:00 practice.

During practice, the climate was a little sticky, but by the time church started, there was a decent breeze going, and it didn't feel too bad in church, so I cannot blame the humidity.

It could have been my battery. Had I thought of it, I could have replaced it, and maybe that would have taken care of it.

It was almost as if some little kid turned all the shinny knob thingees. Who knows, they might have?

So, I was kind of in a bind, what do I do? We only have piano and guitar that morning since our bass player wasn't on.

I almost had a Tonya Harding-type moment. Do you remember the '94 Olympics, the one where she apparently broke a lace, and went crying to the judges?

Maybe I should have went "crying" to our pastor, and he could have talked for a few minutes.

I really had 2 options: keep playing, and hope it wasn't as bad as it sounded (it was) or stop, go do a quick tune, and leave everyone else to finish the song.

Crazy as it sounds, I did the latter, which sparked 3 family members (including my wife) leaving the auditorium to see if they could help/or what was wrong. I appreciate their concern/willingness to help, but it kind of created an extra layer of concern for the rest of my team.

Since I don't have an in-guitar tuner, I did my best to improvise, which wasn't very good, and so it was a lost morning for guitar players/lovers.

You know how singers can sometimes lip-sync their songs if they're not 100%....maybe I need to start recording some guitar tracks......

1 comment:

Joe said...

Your post title says it best, "Uggghhhhh..." That's the worst feeling in the world. You feel so trapped between two uncomfortable options. Now that I've evolved from an Ovation to a Taylor, I lost that internal tuner and with it the ability to tune on the fly. I've hee-hawed for a long time about getting a tuner pedal but they're like 60 bucks. It might be worth it just to avoid the experience you mentioned.

Keep your Taylor rockin for Jesus!