Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Quiet Strength

Okay, I admit. I was one of the doubters. I knew Tony Dungy was a great coach....the man took a boring Buccaneers team, and made them into a formidable, NFC contender....who would often lose to the Eagles in the NFC playoffs.

What I didn't know, is if he would ever win the "big one". People theorized about how, since we hasn't your typical "screamer" coach, that perhaps he could never win the Super Bowl....to "get over the hump"....from good to great.

After reading his latest book, I came away thinking "wow, this guy doesn't want to be defined as a football coach". He believes in the striving for excellence in his job, but he doesn't limit his self-worth to the football field.

Another theme that he had in the book is trusting/relying on God, at all times of life.

I recommend this book to the sports fan an non-sports fan alike. It was a great read because I'm a football fan, but the principles discussed in the book go far deeper than the gridiron.

No comments: