Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Phillies Pfun

Okay, so it was unexpected, but I ended up going to a Phillies game just 4 days after I attended one, and said it was the last of the year (unless they make playoffs).

It was rainy, I wasn't exactly sure if it was worth going...but it was free tickets, and so I went.

When we got there it was steamy and humid, but we sat in the shade, got some breezes, and had a good time.

The guys behind us sounded like they had an even better time. Two quick "hits" from the afternoon: after the PA system played the trumpet sound (du-du-du-DU-du-DUUU...CHARGE!) they one guy said "C'mon Ruiz, we gave you a du-du-du" (repeated sound). That one made me laugh. The other one was, "Man, they must put a chemical in this food to keep you hungry". I heard that a few times that afternoon, as they scarfed down food. Between them and the family to our right, there were a lot of $$$ flying around for food and beverages.

A few thoughts from the game: I was surprised to hear the loud booos when Alfonseca entered the game (he replaced Madsen who was injured). One strike later (a strikeout) everyone cheered. I hope "Alfie" has thick skin.

Same for Iguchi. He's the first Japanese born player to play in Philly. The guys behind us thought it was funny to say "c'mon mitsubishi" or whatever Japanese sounding words they could think of.

Replacing Utley is hard, but if he plays anything close to the 2005 form when he was with the White Sox, then all will be well. I'm not opposed to the Phillies acquiring the rest of that team...they already got Rowand, Garcia and Iguchi.

No comments: