Saturday, July 14, 2007

Slammin Sammy Sosa

On one particularily humid night in June of '03, I was driving to Nappanee, Indiana for one of Kristy's softball games. As I was driving, I was listening to Pat Hughes and Ron Santo call the Cubs game, turned out they were playing the D-rays that night.

About 2 miles from the softball game, Sammy Sosa came to bat, and shattered his bat, with cork flying everywhere. I remember thinking it was a pretty big deal, a superstar slugger getting "caught" with cork in his bat. During a commercial break, I switched to ESPN Radio 1000 and they were all over it.

4 years later, Fred Mitchell of the Chicago Tribune writes about the story and how Major League Baseball told the Cubs that they had 1 hour to get rid of any other corked bats, and apparently clubhouse personell rounded up 70 such bats, used by a bunch of players (no names given).

Interesting story. Reminds me of the Albert Belle story, where Jason Grimsley supposedly crawled through a crawlspace into the Umpires locker room, and replaced a corked bat with the conventional model.

Also reminds me about how our opponent last night was using a harder core baseball, and thus was hitting more home runs than normal......hmmmmm....

No comments: